Sunday, January 17, 2010

Weekend Update

Friday and Saturday were so busy, I figured I'd just do a weekend report sort of thing.

Friday: I got to hang out with Emily J. before going to a sing-through rehearsal with the whole 'Cosi' cast. That Act I Finale is a killer! It didn't help that 1) I didn't even think to review the Act II Finale so I had pretty much forgotten all that goes on in that, and 2) a former teacher, wife of the Don Alfonso, and head of the BU Opera Institute came in and listened for part of the rehearsal! No pressure! Gaah! Singing the duet with the tenor was really nice though...and really hard. It doesn't seem that hard when I'm playing it myself, but I'll get it. It's just something I need to be sure to look at tomorrow and Tuesday.

Saturday: First was the rehearsal, which was great since we staged my aria and then started working on the Act I Finale. We got about half-way through before time was up. I then booked it over to find parking and take the T to Newbury Street where Rebecca H., Tom D., and Jennie S. met me at the salon for a wig consultation. First of all, THANK YOU ALL!!!! It was so great having you all there!!! So first I tried on a dark brown wig with a bit of a light wave to it, which was better, but my three 'advisors' were wonderful in helping the wig lady understand that I really, really, really wanted long and curly. We pulled back the sides of the wig with clips and it did help a lot. But then, the wig lady worked some magic and came in with THE WIG! I saw it and before I even put it on, I said 'Yes! THAT is the wig I want!' We put it on...it was my hair! Long, curly at the bottom...it was perfect! She just has to get it in my hair color and it will be all set! The curls will stay...and return once the hair is washed! I put down the deposit (it was a lot less than I thought it was going to be for a 100% human hair, long wig!) and will get it next Saturday when I chop off my hair so the transition should be seamless.

After that, I then trotted out to Arlington for a costume fitting for 'Cosi'. Now, the last time I was in this costume shop, I thought it was kind of skeezy. However, it has since moved and the lady who was there was pretty great! She showed me the costume (which was gorgeous) and got me a petticoat (which was a little tight, but she said they would adjust it) and the dress fit PERFECTLY! No alterations needed!!! It's a real, 18th Century style...I've never worn that on stage, so I'm really excited!

Once that was done, I went up to Rebecca H.'s house for a singing party...and it was a lovely, lovely time. I wasn't going to sing, but I did end up singing 'Wunderbar' and 'Before I gaze at you again'.

Sunday: Today was the day to run errands and get things for the coming week. First though, I had an audition. They had an OLD headshot (I think I got it taken when I was in Grad School!) and I am so glad I brought a new one because they are SO much better! I also added an updated resume which included some upcoming performances which, while still in the planning stages, seem to be moving forward. They're also some really good roles -- even if they're just going to be in a concert performance. After that, I came home, gathered laundry, and went to do that. Once the clean laundry was in the car, I then drove to the shopping center to 1) get the prescriptions filled for the anti-nausea meds...I kind of don't want to take them if I can help it because the side effects look horrible, 2) get some ginger pieces and ginger tea so I may not have to deal with #1, 3) get some food...mostly gatorade, soup, yogurt, dates, and popsicles to bring to the hospital -- well, not the soup, but the other stuff, and 4) got cat-nail trimmers since I don't want Jack to accidentally scratch me.

I still have a few more things to get tomorrow (like, pick up the prescription and get an electric razor), but then I think I'm mostly done...except I do need to get ice for the cooler. Either Monday or Tuesday evening I'll need to get together a Hospital bag full of things I want to bring, such as the food, any movies, knitting, my score...and anything my mom will want to bring.

I'm still very nervous to see how I'm going to react to all this, but I'm going to do everything that I can so that I don't have much of a reaction at all. One of my biggest worries is that I don't feel and look like myself during all of this. The wig is going to help a lot towards helping me do that...the rest I suppose we'll see.

I'm also very concerned about Maggie. I don't know that she's going to be able to make it through the week :(.

4 comments:

  1. I will be thinking about you and Maggie.. Maggie girl pull through for Your Mommy she needs you...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you found a great wig. I spoke to Tom D. earlier today and he said it was PERFECT! YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, needless to say, I'm rooting for you and for Maggie kitty!

    (And, needless to say, you don't get the "kitty" honorific after your name. )

    (And yet I found need to say it...)

    I hope you can make it Friday, but no pressure if you can't. Give Maggie a hug for me, and I'll tell her to give you a hug for me on her blog...

    ReplyDelete