Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ok, Really?!?

So, I went in, right on time, to take a look at where I'll be receiving the chemo treatments -- much different than I imagined, that's for certain -- and when I went in and mentioned that I would be getting a port, the nurse there said 'And when are you getting that put in?' I said, 'Well, I assumed that the oncologist set it up and I was getting it the morning of the first treatment.' She went to double-check and no...I wasn't on the schedule.

I BEG your pardon?

She then tried to get me on the schedule that morning, but they couldn't do it. They could only do the day before, but I have no one to drive me to/from the appointment so I said I couldn't do it. She then called my surgeon to see if they could do it instead of the other department (as they sometimes do) and will be getting back to me.

But HELLO?! When was someone going to get this done? Who was going to do it? If it was my responsibility, someone should have told me where to go and who to contact!

I then apparently had to get blood drawn for some coagulation test...and again, they couldn't get into the vein in my arm. THIS is why I need to get a port, people! They ended up going through my hand...owwwwww. Again, why I need a freaking port! I'm little! I have little veins! So now I have to shower the night before and morning of this with some special stuff and even though I'm supposed to eat before chemo, I'm not supposed to eat before this procedure. I guess I'll have to eat between???

I then sat down with the oncologist who apologized and said that she didn't know how far her receptionist had gotten in the scheduling (and why not? Why can't you pull this up if you need to??). But she wrote me prescriptions for two anti-nausea drugs (not the ones we talked about, Liddy) and a prescription for a wig.

I mentioned the whole Benadryl reaction to the nurse and I'd rather not be given Benadryl and THEN some sort of sedative to counteract the Benadryl. At this rate, I'll just be hyper in the chemo chair.

Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed off that we are a week out and this hasn't been scheduled! I still don't know when I'm getting the Lupron shot (to protect my ovaries) and I'll be calling them tomorrow about that (I doubt I can get it before Monday though).

Really...first this oncologist needlessly freaks out my mom and sister due to her hatred of all things cats and now she doesn't schedule me for these very important procedures before we get started? Maybe it's in revenge since I don't have dogs??

No comments:

Post a Comment