Sunday, January 10, 2010

Even the MAC girl was awesome!

I went to the mall today and stopped by the MAC counter to ask them what they suggested that one use to draw on eyebrows and such. She showed me an eyebrow pencil but agreed that it would look too drawn on. She then said 'Oh, but you have nice eyebrows now!' and I explained that chemo's going to take them at some point in the near future. She seemed surprised, apologized, and then went right on to show me about using an angled brush (which I have) and a dark brown eyeshadow (which I also have). We also talked a little about eyelashes and she showed me what MAC had -- which were very nice and not too pricey for the quality. She apologized again after writing down the item numbers and colors for me and when I said 'It's all going to be fine' she looked at me and said, 'Yes, it is. You're amazing.'

So that was really kind of cool and very touching.

In the back of my mind, I have this idea to really document everything that's going to be going on for the next year and maybe one day turn it into a book. Yes, there are lots of books out there. However, I haven't really been able to find anything geared towards women under 40. I'm meeting up with another girl (30 years old) on Tuesday who just started chemo and I have another friend on the West Coast who is 35. I think we'd have a lot to add in regards to keeping up with jobs, social lives, appearances...something that I think changes with the older crowd (no offense. We're just at a different part in our lives). Now, I know one already has kids and is married...I don't know about the other, but I'll find out!

Sadly, the EHarmony guy hasn't emailed me since Wednesday. Oh well.

5 comments:

  1. You ARE amazing. The cosmetics lady was right. The EHarmony guy is a schmuck! He is missing out on one wonderful lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of hope that the Eharmony went to my website, saw my FANTASTIC headshot there and got scared by my stunning beauty ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you could document all the little good things that happen during this ordeal, it would be a tremendously useful resource for not just you, but also for others who will have to go through similar ones.

    It would also document the pieces of sincere kindness in a very cynical world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that would be a WONDERFUL idea for you to document a book like that! What an awesome idea! Even if you can do photos with it as well would be really cool like the book I sent you that was kinda like a scrap bookish style which seems to appeal to the younger crowd. The MAC lady was right but I ALWAYS KNEW you were amazing... I admire you and your attitude it even is contagious and helps me too... If I can do ANYTHING to help with the book let me know... I will bring my camera too if you want...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I third (fourth, fifth...) the book idea! I remember what my friend Anna went through - it would've been great to have an age-appropriate idea/resource to turn to. (She went through 4 bouts of leukemia - lots of times she'd be in with young kids or older adults. On a side note - she did meet, and marry, a lovely guy, even going through chemo!)

    ReplyDelete