Saturday, June 12, 2010

Probably shouldn't have Googled myself.

I found a review of 'Cosi' that I didn't know was floating about there. The reviewer not only completely hated my makeup (saying I had the pallor of a cadaver), but they also said that my voice was shrill.

Gee, thanks a lot. I am so tempted to email the reviewer and say 'Ok, yeah. I was pale because I WAS GOING TO THROUGH FREAKING CHEMOTHERAPY!!!'

Shrill? SHRILL?!?!?!? Ok, maybe they came on an off night...I did have a couple of issues in two of the performances, but shrill? The MD would have told me if I was shrill, I would think.

Maybe this person just doesn't really like higher soprano voices? I try to be very aware of if my voice comes across as shrill or screamy -- in fact, I've sought reassurance and assistance from my 'team' whenever I've been concerned about it.

That just pisses me off. It would have been nice to have had a good review floating about of that. I felt I sang well the opening and closing night...the middle two had some issues.

I know it's just one person's opinion, but ugh.

4 comments:

  1. I've *never* heard you sound shrill. Reads like someone who just doesn't like high sopranos.

    Re: your complexion: yeah, screw them! Geez....

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Found the review... I say you go review one of HER shows. Bwa ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shrill. No!!! She is just one idiot with a pen! Ignore her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is always going to be someone out there who doesn't like what you are doing, and if there isn't you are doing it wrong! Everyone has their own crazy opinions. Just be yourself and sing your heart out like you always do!

    ReplyDelete